Lookin' Good at 58

Wednesday, February 22, 2017

If You Want to be a Chef

Here is something to think about if you are thinking about taking one of those expensive cooking courses to get some knowledge on food preparation.

I will make my point in the form of a story. You know my last post I wrote of all the education one has to go through in order to be an anesthesiologist. It's necessary because there is no room for error.

Well to be a Gordon Ramsay here is what will happen.

The conversation of the wannabe and a famous chef.

Wannabe : Chef I don't know what to do. There is this course that cost $20,000 over two years that I can take. If I don't take it and I start working for you right now where would I begin?

Chef: You would start peeling potatoes.

Wannabe: What about if I took the course and came back two years from now where would I start then?

Chef : Ssme thing. You would start peeling potatoes.

Wannabe: So I may as well start peeling potatoes and save me the $20,000 then.

Chef: Yes you can start now. Here is the paring knife.

The moral of this story is if you want to work in the kitchen save your money and pick your restaurant and start peeling. This business you learn on the fly. If you want to make a career of it do it this way and cut your learning curve.

If you want to do it for a hobby spend the 20 grand.

Find that mentor.

No comments: