Lookin' Good at 58

Monday, November 4, 2013

Some Reflection

I was thinking of this the other day. When I use to travel around a lot in my 20's and 30's I did it in a fashion that my parents use to question. In their day they would wait for their vacation time and plan ahead 6 months to get the lowest airfare, accommodations etc.. A person traveling alone was not common either. That and too travel alone and stay anywhere would always cost you that supplement charge.

In my day I would just work my way around to see things. It was cheaper to do and I never stayed in a job long enough to benefit from any paid vacation days that I would have accumulated anyway. I was a product of the new generation that wanted to break away from anything that would hold me back from living in the now.

Nowadays the world has shrunk so much and got so competitive that to travel there are better deals out there than ever before. One person I work with in 5 days went to 3 countries in Europe on her days off. Something that I would never have been able to pull off 30 years ago. The charters they have now and low airfare cost make it easier than ever to get around. The internet has changed everything.

Then I got to thinking again what it will be like when my kids are in their 30's. Richard Branson hopes to fly people to the edge of the atmosphere next year in his newest venture. Perhaps my kids will when the price becomes affordable be able to take a trip to outer space.

That will be next I am sure of it at the speed at which travel is evolving.

No comments: