Lookin' Good at 58

Friday, July 26, 2013

One Way Of Looking at Gratuities

Providing you work in a reasonably busy restaurant and you get a few turns this is how I view any given evening.

Just admit to yourself that no matter how good things are going you will always get a few tables that will tip less than what they should have. Then you will have others who you might expect a good tip from and they leave a good one.

Night after night I look at my bad ones and say that is toward my tip out. The good ones I always say that is all for me.

At the end of the night and you are cashing out you will see you were probably spot on with your thinking.

So don't fret about a bad tip. That is not for you but the tip out at the end of the night. The next table that leaves a good tip that money is for you.

2 comments:

SkippyMom said...

What a great way to look at this. I have only ever tipped out bussers and bartenders with maybe a little bit for the disher [having done that job myself and they are always so helpful] but I always looked at the end of the night as "Did I make 15% of my sales in tips to take home, after tip out? I cannot remember a night I didn't make at least that or better. The good tables held my tip average steady and the great tables made up for the poor ones. It always evened out. Always.

Steven Nicolle said...

SkippyMom...it always seems to work out.