Lookin' Good at 58

Sunday, July 14, 2013

Icelandic Wine

So since we came back from Iceland I did a little research to see if there was any wine that could be made that far north. For first of all the land is mainly rock and mountains. There is plenty of water and much of it coming out of the ground as geothermal heat. It has a very short growing season to be sure.

But what it does have is a lot of blueberries and crowberries. Crowberries are not classified as a berry in Iceland but a fruit. They are full of antioxidants to ward off cancer and packed with vitamin C.

So you put the two of these together with rhubarb and you have an organic wine coming from Husavik in the North of Iceland. I have been to Husavik. It is pretty nice there and a great spot to whale watch.

Organic wine for those of you who do not know the definition is wine that is made without any unnatural methods such as the use of any herbicides, pesticides, fungicides or fertilizer. It all has to be natural.

For more information on this interesting wine made by the only wine maker in Iceland and also the holder of the world record for pancake baking check out the link.

I wished I had tried this while I was there. Sounds healthy!

http://www.newliving.com/issues/dec_2003/articles/icelandic%20wine.html

2 comments:

SkippyMom said...

I have never heard of crowberries, but anything with antioxidents [and a cancer deterent] is a okay in my book.

Iceland sounds lovely. Cold, but lovely.

My best to you and the family!

Steven Nicolle said...

SkippyMom...I never had either but my wife Soley says her Mom makes a jam from them. Rhubarb too and blueberries. There are no hot summers there to be sure but then again compared to here no cold winters either. Windy though. Hope you are doing well. I see you are moving..