Lookin' Good at 58

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

When I Broke My Wrist in Germany

Back in 1993 I was on the Isles of Scilly off the coast of Penzance in the Atlantic Ocean. It was quite a spot to get to because the best way to get there was by helicopter and with that a small baggage allowance. The isles had no landing strip for an airplane and if you were to go by cargo ship the only thing that would be good for would be heaving over the sides from the rough seas.

Because I was unable to bring with me very much the Bed and Breakfast I was staying at for a couple of days advised me that nearby there was some storage units for rent where I could store some belongings until I returned from the islands after my contract expired.

Well you woudn't believe what happened! I decided that I would travel around of Europe hitting two countries in particular, that being Germany and Switzerland, so I left my stuff in storage until I returned to pick it up.

Well as it turned out I broke my wrist in Germany so I was unable to fly back home to Canada with much luggage until the wrist mended.

So I asked them if it would be okay if I stored my stuff a while longer. I headed back to Canada and after my wrist was better ended up going back to the cruise ship to work. When my 6 months were up I took a vacation in South Carolina on Myrtle Beach for 6 weeks only to return to the ship again.

In total it was 16 months before I returned to pick up my stuff in Penzance.

One thing I will never forget is how trustworthy the company was to keep my stuff for such a long period of time. All I had to do was keep in touch and let them know where I was.

Sometimes when you are traveling around it is good to know your belongings are in a same place.


No comments: