Lookin' Good at 58

Thursday, January 12, 2012

When You Could Just Walk In and Get Hired

I was recalling when there were always plenty of jobs in this business. When in 1991 in Jasper I actually worked in 3 different restaurants at one time.

I worked breakfast at the Lobstick Lodge till 11:30 then zipped to Mama Teresa's, an Italian food restaurant, where I started at noon.

Then I would get myself outta there by 3 then at 4 start at this Greek food restaurant called the Palisades at 4 and work till about 9-9:30. Then I would stop by the ATM machine and put some tips in and head to the club where I packed a couple of beers away and had a bite to eat.

Home at 11 I would head to bed to get some rest and do it all over again the next day.

Needless to say I got sick of this pretty quick and it only lasted a couple of weeks when I bid the lunch job farewell.

A couple of years later I went back for a visit and the job boards had all but dried up. The recession hit in 92 and that was it.

I don't think a lot has changed since...

www.stevennicolle.com

7 comments:

SkippyMom said...

Your recession hit in '92? Wow. I didn't realize it was that long.

I do remember the days of working like that and it not being a big deal. These days I need my naps. :)

Steven Nicolle said...

SkippyMom...there has been different recessions throughout the years. 82 and 92 I remember. I don't think I can work like that anymore either nor would I want to. Hey we were younger then..

Steven Nicolle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Joe Sixtop said...

It's still possible to do that a lot here, but I wouldn't want to!

Steven Nicolle said...

Joe Sixtop...I think it has been an employers market for a long time. When you get older than the person who is interviewing the jobs become slimmer as well.

Push The Fish said...

It's amazing how many people per week come into my restaurant applying for a job. Every time a new application gets tossed on the office desk, I'm even a tad bit more appreciative for my job. However, I only want ONE. And no doubles. Ever. ;)

Steven Nicolle said...

Push the Fish....I am with you. There is a lot of people looking but not enough jobs.