Lookin' Good at 58

Saturday, August 13, 2011

Show an Interest Or Pay a Compliment

Lately what I have been trying to do especially at the end of the meal is show a sincere interest in getting to know the guest better. Not like personal questions but asking an open ended question like , how is your summer so far and then listening. If they have kids and they have acted well mention how well their kids have behaved. Even if they haven't mention it anyway. Who cares!

When I come over to the table introducing myself and smile I ask the children what their name is.

I don't talk much during their meal but the start and finish some small talk doesn't hurt. A compliment here or there doesn't hurt.

It makes people feel good and that is what we are servers for is doing just that.

2 comments:

Terry B, Blue Kitchen said...

And I always try to do the same with waitstaff, bartenders and others who are helping me. Just asking how's your day/evening going often brings an appreciative smile. They're happy to know people see them as other people, not just staff.

Steven Nicolle said...

Terry B,Blue Kitchen...a very good point. Do it with your staff as well.