Lookin' Good at 58

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

What Part of I Need Monday Nights off To Teach Bartending Do They Not Understand?

A few days ago the manager comes to me and ask me if I have found someone to work for me on Monday night since I teach the class that night.

I say no I haven't yet and he says if you cannot find anyone just remember the next time they ask you to switch shifts just say no.

After that I thought to myself did he really think I was just going to drop my class to work Monday night? Just tell people who paid for the course that I couldn't make it cause my boss wouldn't give me it off. Especially with Rogers TV coming to do some video of some students making some drinks.

So today I had to phone in sick and they asked for a doctor's note. How incredulous! Are they just crazy or what? They are just cruel whom I work for that is what I think. They like playing games with people.

To top it off they have far too much staff working on the floor anyway. Two people left early yesterday because there was no business. I think they could have scheduled me off tonight.

4 comments:

Pierre said...

Shame that Ontario/Canadian labor laws state that they cannot ask for a doctors note until you've been sick for more than 3 days in a row, isn't it?

And since when is it the employee's job to find replacement staff. That's what managers earn the big bucks for - managing the staff/restaurant.

Steven Nicolle said...

Pierre...thanks for bringing me up to speed on that. I will duly mention it when I give my two week's notice today.

Joe Sixtop said...

Dude, I personally NEVER call in sick but if I was in your situation I would call in sick. At least you live in a real country where you can go to the doctor. Plus, if what Pierre over there said is right, even better. Rock on!

Steven Nicolle said...

Joe Sixtop...I phoned in sick and then gave my notice the following day. I had enough.