Lookin' Good at 58

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

I Had One Great Day at the Airport

Well now it is all said and done with yesterday's two week notice I have to say that what I was making for 8 hours and what I thought I would be making were two different things.

As usual people are always talking how busy it use to be and now it is not anymore and there are too many waiters and not enough business to warrant it etc. etc.

But there was last Saturday when I was working in the first restaurant before I was rotated and it was really slow when I came in at 2:30. In fact it was so slow they let a person go who was still a bit hungover from the night before.

Well we got hit after that. I had my 10 table section and getting the big parties coming in and as a lot of the people only spoke French I was at my best speaking back to them in their native tongue. Everything was coming out great. People ordering steaks and add-ons running up the bill.

Well I knew I had a good night. On cash out I noticed I was pretty busy with 37 tables and 85 guests.

With just over $1400 in net sales and tipping out $28 I walked out of there with $328 in my pocket.

I thought that was pretty awesome. I thought I would be making that everyday when I started and I was led to believe that. I figured over 8 hours and with so many tables that I had to do at least $250 a day.

But in the end for all the hours it was not something to make me stay. The tips were not as abundant as first thought. It did not outweigh the time lost at home.

Sometimes you got to know what things are more important in life.

2 comments:

SkippyMom said...

Dang Steve that is awesome! I know if there had been more days like that it would be easier to take.

Enjoy! Hope it happens 10 more times for you before you leave.

Steven Nicolle said...

SkippyMom....I think the stars were all aligned in a row that night. Rare you get a night like that anywhere.