Lookin' Good at 58

Thursday, June 2, 2011

A Conversation That Took Place The Other Night

The bartender Tony has worked for the airport the past 35 years and he is requesting a day off for a family event to the young manager. The day is for July 9th.

Tony: I was wondering if I can get July 9th off for a family function.

Manager : Why do you need it off? I'll see what I can do.

Tony: Well I don't ask often and I never phone in sick or anything....

Manager: What do you mean if I don't give it to you are you going to phone in sick? Is that it?

Tony: No that isn't what I said..

Manager: Well that is what it sounded like....

Tony: I was just saying can you see if I can get the day off..

I felt embarassed and as I mentioned afterwards to Tony for someone who has worked 35 years at the same place and being scrutinized for requesting a day off was pretty tough to listen to.

There is so much mistrust in this place it is unbelieveable.

By the way I got a call on my day off that my Mondays have been taken by someone higher in seniority which means that if I cannot find a replacement I have to call in sick to teach my bartending class.

How pathetic is that.... If you are honest they stab you in the back.

I thought places like this to work ended with the abolishment of slavery.

4 comments:

SkippyMom said...

Wrong on about 35 levels there Steve. Manager sounds like a jerk.

They sure do own you guys don't they...sad actually.

Hope your friend gets the day off.

Steven Nicolle said...

SkippyMom....it is and glad I am leaving.

waterbreaddish said...

Wow, I'm surprised at the crap your manager gave your friend for just requesting the day off. Erk...

Steven Nicolle said...

waterbreaddish........amazing eh and it happens all the time. Thanks for dropping by.