Lookin' Good at 58

Monday, May 9, 2011

Screw the Benefits

I didn't know what else to title this post so I just gave it this title.

Lately I haven't been posting as often just due to the fact I was waiting to see what would happen with the restaurant rotation coming up.

Just to update everyone when I was hired at the airport to work I was not made aware that the company that ran all the restaurants and who hired me made all the service staff rotate restaurants every 6 months.

So when I started it was made clear to me by others that I wouldn't be in the restaurant I was hired to work in very long because I was on the bottom of the list and I would get bumped.

After only two months making reasonably good money , last Saturday I started in a new restaurant in a different terminal.

My shift is from 2:30 to 11:00 with Mondays off for teaching and Wednesday.

If the first two nights at the new place is any indication I will be heading back in the summer to where I used to work for sure.

Apart from the fact my travel time is 45 minutes to work and another 10 minutes by the train link to get from the parking to Terminal 1 I am not usually home till after midnight. Not late by waiting standards but if you have to leave the house by 1:15 that is eleven hours. With little or no break to eat in between.

Before at the first restaurant I was mainly working breakfast and lunch till 2PM but 80% of the time I would walk out of there with more than $150.

At this new one that has smaller sections , slower kitchen , and slower turnover I am making less than that.

Last night after eight hours and tipping out I walked with $138 and was exhausted. It was the eighth day in a row and with teaching tonight and one day back tomorrow it will be 10 in a row.

Here is my choice. I miss my kids every weekend , and spend over $400 a month in gas to go to work where I am making less than where I was previously in a shorter time.

Or just when the place where I use to work reopens after renovation in July go back there.

My wife can pick a part time job up and make up the small difference and we can have a good summer.

I think I could have stuck it out in the first restaurant as the people were better there. That makes a huge difference too.

Summing up working 40 hours a week at this job is costing me a lot more than it would working at the other for 25 hours.

Some people have told me that if I wait 2-3 years my seniority will mean something and I can have my pick.

Brother I am not 25 years old anymore. Fifty-five is 3 years away. Life becomes more valuable as you get older. I want to enjoy it now not labour through it cause you never know what lies ahead. When you get older you think like that. If I was single sure who cares but with my kids I like to see them once in a while. That will and always be my priority.

Basically I can hardly wait to leave......Or I will need the benefit package to keep me there.

2 comments:

SkippyMom said...

That stinks Steve. I am really sorry because it seemed to be working out well with the first place you were stationed. Too bad they had to mess things up.

Kids are definitely a priority - no doubt - Pooldad took a pay cut and left the job he had for 27 years just so he could work less hours and not have to work 6 days a week anymore. It has made all the difference in the world to him and our kids.

I wish you well and I hope it works out the way you need/want it to be.

Steven Nicolle said...

SkippyMom....Pooldad did the right thing for himself. What is the point of working to be absent from the family? Life is too short. I think we get to know that better as time moves on. It will work out for me. A couple of months and the heat of the summer will be here.