Lookin' Good at 58

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

It Looks Like Goodbye Easter

There is a real disadvantage that I am seeing that came to the forefront today. It appears like my permanent days off are Wednesday and Thursday. Others who have more seniority get the better days off.

The wife and I were talking tonight and unless they give everyone a shot at having at least one of those four days off from the Friday to Monday I will be working every one one of them. So the kids are home and I will be working those four days.

Now apparently it is very hard to request a day off when you want one. We only have so much staff and if one wants a day off then it screws up everyone's schedule.

So people phone in sick , a lot.

So far I have gone in early twice at 5:30AM cause someone needed two days off. A couple of times someone else has been sick so I have been asked to go in early those days. One time happened today.

Listen I only started a couple of weeks ago but I am starting to see a trend here. My job is safe as long as I can make it in the morning. But so are the jobs of the people who call in sick. I don't think they even need to bring in a doctor's note...

I know when I started I had asked for Tuesdays off which I thought would be no great deal as anyway I would be available for weekends.

But I was told someone bumped me out. We will see what the summer brings but flexibility is a big issue for me. They better not screw me around on Bartending course Monday nights in a couple of weeks.

Probably no fear of that though as no one likes to get up in the morning. But days off set in stone I don't think so.

I am proving an asset to the restaurant but this morning I had to speak up.

The supervisor until the host came in wanted me to handle the takeouts that people pay for at the host stand while running to catch their flight. I said no way. How the heck can you be expected to watch a full station , sit people , and stand at the front and take people's money who are in line ready to pay.

To be honest I think this supervisor is just plain lazy. He was in the office when he should have been opening up the doors this morning on time and taking the host stand.

I wonder what good a union is if you have a supervisor telling you to do something that you couldn't possibly do while serving people in the restaurant.

Methinks this union is good for nothing! Only benefits the ones who don't give a hoot.

10 comments:

Banquet Manager said...

Oh how I miss those "regular days off". Haven't had that in over 12 years.

Stephaine said...

well i guess in most company seniority will be applied no matter what kind of work is that, and in most cases it's being abused...

i worked in a hotel restaurant before and we have area assigned to us but sometimes people who are older in the service tend to ask us to watch their area while they take a puff.. which i took thinking its not a permanent kind of thing but then it became permanent, there is one time where in someone call me to watch his area but i pretend i was not listening, he thinks i will do it since i have done it in the past but i did not, the next morning he was kicked because most of the costumer in his area wrote a not so good remark on the comment box..

Steven Nicolle said...

Banquet Manager...I bet you do. It just depends on what days of the week that fall.heh heh Obviously a Banquet Manager works every weekend and holiday. Bless you buddy.

Steven Nicolle said...

Stephanie...good for you sometimes you gotta do something about it.

angry waiter said...

I hear you. The funny thing is as a union you have definite job descriptions. The joke is that union employees will step over a piece of trash all day because "it's not in their job description" to pick it up. Play the game. My restaurant which is fairly corporate but not union has guidelines on employee write ups that are crazy. I call in sick all the time because the only way to get pto is to call out. I have more pto than vacation time. If I forget to even call it's only a write up and as long as I don't get three in a 3 month period they go away. I have never NCNS'd but it happens all the time where I work and no one gets fired. Eventually you get seniority even if your the worst employee on the planet.

Steven Nicolle said...

Angry Waiter....I understand and beginning to see what you are saying. Excellent comment but I am afraid I lean toward the flexible day off formula. I got a couple of kids who I like to see during the summer months. A plan may be happening shortly. This union stuff stunts personal growth. You gotta play the game like you say or else...Thank you for commenting and the follow.

English tips said...

I don't have days off during the Easter, I have to work organise the Religious tourism, in my town thousands of pilgrimage come every year during the period of Easter. Have a wonderful night, friends.

Steven Nicolle said...

English Tips...that sounds real interesting and a great thing to do over Easter with the tourists. Great going and have a great day.

Anonymous said...

At my work we work the same days every week so if you need one off you switch with someone.

Steven Nicolle said...

Anonymous....it was like that in my last job. Unfortunatey no one to switch with where I am it appears. You just phone in sick.