Lookin' Good at 58

Monday, April 4, 2011

The Corkscrew is Getting Rusty

This morning when I got up I glanced at my corkscrew that I haven't even put in my pocket since I left my last job.

It sounds like I am in mourning for not being around some fine wines but my $15 average guest cheque per person is much more profitable than someone who sits at a table for two hours and spends over a hundred dollars for a bottle of wine.

I did like that too though. But sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do even if that means serving breakfast and lunch in a casual atmosphere.

I tell you today there was nothing casual as I had to be on my toes right from beginning to end. I served 84 people today.

Today was my hump day and tonight I am getting to sleep early so I am not that beat come my days off.

The big thing I notice is where I am working a lot of people call in sick. Today two were sick which meant 3 of us were on for breakfast. More running but more money so all in all not a bad day.

It is a different animal working in an airport. People sometimes come up to you and ask if I can pack their meal as their flight has just been announced ready for boarding. Then you gotta run around and get their bill so that they can pay and scram to the gate.

Fun times.........

4 comments:

SkippyMom said...

Definitely a different animal Steve. And I wouldn't miss serving wine for that kind of turn around. :)

Jennifer said...

I agree. That is just how it goes sometimes. My favorite saying by a friend is " Sometimes chicken, sometimes bone". Then the end of the week usually evens out

Steven Nicolle said...

SkippyMom...wisely spoken.

Steven Nicolle said...

Jennifer...seems like things here are going surprisingly well. Consistent tips day in and day out is all I am looking for and it appears like it is here.