Lookin' Good at 58

Thursday, March 17, 2011

This Is Real Different

Today was my first real shift on the floor serving tables at the pub in the airport. I don't think I have ever worked in a place where the term flip your tables meant so much.

It was a slow day by my co-workers standards but for me it was just fine getting adjusted to the pos system which by the way is very unforgiving. You cannot review your order before sending it to the kitchen so if you press something wrong you have to get the manager to delete it for you. That is different.

Now they said they wanted to take it easy on me today but for breakfast I had a 10 table section. I hate to think if I had those ten tables full all at once. But on the other hand the menu is simple and there is not much work if you take a bunch of orders at the same time.

The most tables I had today was about 6. But the thing is the tips aren't bad. They are not big but they are good percentage wise. The tip out is very small indeed. I would have tipped out $25 where I worked before but today it was just $5 to the bartender. That was it.

Can I make upwards of $200 working breakfast and lunch there? That is the big question but if it was slow today and I took home $122 I don't think that is impossible. In fact it could happen on a daily occurrence if it is as busy as people say it gets.

It could be the March break. People have gone away already as it is mid-week. Families are on vacation somewhere. When next week gets back to normal then they say it will be much better.

So there you go and I am off in the evening. Not bad but getting up at 4:40 in the morning will take some getting used to.

Today was a good start though....

2 comments:

Banquet Manager said...

Good luck with the new job.

Steven Nicolle said...

Banquet Manager...thanks. We will see how it goes.