Lookin' Good at 58

Friday, February 25, 2011

Tom Collins - Shaken Not Stirred

I don't have much to say tonight. I got stuck with a table that sat there past midnight. The bar waitress told me she had the same people last night and they sat around forever yesterday too. Finally got them out a quarter past midnight so I am a bit knackered. I made good cash tonight though so it wasn't a total waste of effort.

The title is Tom Collins or Gin Collins if you prefer. Why cause no one shakes a Tom Collins anymore. And they add this soda which I just don't get. I use to call that a Gin Fizz.

The way I use to make it was pretty simple. Take your shot of 1 1/2 oz. Gin. Put it in a glass shaker with ice and add 4 ounces of Lime BarMix and shake it. Just pour it all in a Collins glass that looks long tall and narrow. Garnish with a cherry and orange wedge then insert a long straw and away you go.

This method is a lot more refreshing when you shake it than if you just take a highball and pour the ingredients in and top it with soda.

What are your recipes where you work for the Tom Collins?

12 comments:

SkippyMom said...

I don't drink a lot of liquor so I have never had a Tom Collins - but I have to say this sounds yum and refreshing.

I like the idea of a gin fizz too. :)

Glad you had such a great week $$ wise - hope it continues [and you get some rest!]

Steven Nicolle said...

SkippyMom...the week continues for me as I am on 6 in a row then off Tueday then back for 4. It is okay , my choice. You know the beginning of the month and the bills etc..come in.Have a good weekend.

David said...

1 Lime
1 Lemon
1/2 Orange
1 oz Simple Syrup
1 1/2 oz Gin

All juices are fresh squeezed as ordered and shaken exactly 8 times.

This is why I have never accepted the offer to be a bartender

Stephaine said...

i want to try this... i'm not really much of a drinker but i guess trying something new is not that bad...

waitermood.blogspot.com said...

http://waitermood.blogspot.com/

Hy mate, I would like to introduce you my blog. thank you.
waitermood

http://waitermood.blogspot.com/

http://waitermood.blogspot.com/

Steven Nicolle said...

David...that sounds like a good one too with all those freshly squeezed juices. Be good on a hot day for sure.

Steven Nicolle said...

Stephanie...if you are not a drinker and want to try one this isn't bad as there is a lot more juice that liquor in it.

Steven Nicolle said...

Waitermood...thanks for dropping by. I will follow you and you can do the same. Thanks again. Glad to meet you.

Stephaine said...

i tried... hehehe it did not turn out the way i want it... "but then again how do i really want it to taste like"...

i tried davids too! i thought the process is that easy but then squizz this and that is something i dont want to do hehe...

Joe said...

I make it just like you do except I was taught to add a splash of tonic to it. I was very gratified to see you have joined us at the cool kids table, thx and welcome!

Steven Nicolle said...

Stephanie...sometimes you need the bar accessories to make a drink like this too. Don't be too hard on yourself.

Steven Nicolle said...

Joe...right on and with tonic too. I haven't heard of that one.