Lookin' Good at 58

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Good Service Always Brings People Back

The other night I was serving a couple with the husband's mother.

At the end of the meal the husband says to me you have worked here a while haven't you? I answer yes about 3 years.

He replies I know and we always get you as a waiter. I laugh and quip that I hope that is a good thing.

Then he said something real nice. He said yes it is and that is why we always come back.

Now to be honest I could not remember serving him or his wife before but if you give good service people do remember.

Your good service does insure people do come back. It is not always about the food.

8 comments:

The Jaded Waiter said...

Gotta say, this is truly a sign of when you're an outstanding server. When people comment on the great job you did (let alone that you're a big part of the reason they come back) and you don't even remember them, it means you're operating from a higher place devoid of preference. It means you're giving a consistent and quality experience to -everyone-. That's the apex of the profession and it says something. Most servers never get there and these are the interactions that make it all worthwhile.

The Restaurant Manager said...

Very true! I was coaching my servers today and I told them this: "Your customers may not always remember what you said. But they will always remember how you made them feel."

SkippyMom said...

I will take a hum drum menu of well made food [i.e. it isn't cold when I get it] with great service over a 4 star kitchen and crappy service any day. It is so important.

Nice compliment. But we already know you were amazing. :)

Steven Nicolle said...

The Jaded Waiter...Well thanks for that. I never really thought of it that way but you are right. I do strive for consistency.

Steven Nicolle said...

The Restaurant Manager...another eloquent way of putting it. I could not have said it better. Talking is annoying while feeling something is emotional and can make you remember things better.

Steven Nicolle said...

SkippyMom...absolutely agree with you there. Although I am not that extraordinary. Just trying to do my best. Things can always happen.

Grace said...

This is so true. I worked at a local seafood restaurant in Santa Barbara for two years and there were several people who would come in at least once a week and it wasn't always for the food. They just liked hanging out with the wait staff I think.

Steven Nicolle said...

Grace....Sounded like a fun crowd.