Lookin' Good at 58

Saturday, February 27, 2010

When Upselling This Word Works For Me

I have noticed lately that my check average is about $10 higher in the last month or so which I guess you could say has helped me make okay money when compared to others whom I work with. Especially in these slow times we are experiencing.

One thing I am really focusing on is selling the feature martinis which go over $8.00 a drink. But another reason for the higher cheque average is my forte has always been on upselling the size of the steak. You might not get people ordering appetizers or desserts so your only shot is getting them a bigger entree.

Let's say the guest orders an 8oz sirloin. I will answer back with a , "do you want to upgrade that to a 12 oz?'

This is not to say the 8oz is inferior but a 12 oz would satisfy you more. At least this is the impression it gives. When I ask , the guest thinks about it for a moment then a lot of the time they will go with a 12 oz. Then if you are good enough to get them a dessert and coffee later up goes the cheque average dramatically.

So when selling add-ons or upsizing the steak use the word , "upgrade." It denotes a superior meal experience.

12 comments:

merry said...

reading u

♥ Caz said...

Good tip. :)

Also as a side note.
I have changed my blog link.
Thanks.

♥ Caz said...

Definitely cheapskates.
How does drinking lots of wine mean that they get free things?
I don't see the logic.

Maybe they were already slightly drunk when they walked in because they seem a little out of it.

Banquet Manager said...

This is similar to what I used to tell my waiters when I was on the restaurant side. "No one should leave without dessert and/or an after dinner drink", I would drill into them.

After checking on them during the entree, try mentioning that "you have a great cognac or Irish coffee that would finish their meal off great". Then when it's time for dessert, you have already planted the seed into them.

See if that brings the average up even more.

Don't forget, I get 10%.

Waiter Extraordinaire said...

Merry...that is good.

Waiter Extraordinaire said...

Caz...I will make the change. Thanks!

Waiter Extraordinaire said...

Caz...they were not drunk at all. Just felt like they deserved it. Silly isn't it?

Waiter Extraordinaire said...

Banquet Manager..good tip you passed on. I don't know about that 10% though. There wouldn't be much left.lol

teleburst said...

I often tell people that the larger cut is a "nicer cut" as well, especially when it comes to filets. We offer a 9oz and a 14 oz filet for example. The 14 oz is a much nicer cut being tall and fat, while the 9 oz'er is just not as nice. The 14 oz is a very nice cut of steak while the 9 oz is not quite as nice from a proportion standpoint for some reason. Perhaps it's because it generally comes from the end of the tenderloin and can be slightly tapered and not quite as "softball" shaped. The same holds true for our strips. The smaller cut tends to be narrower in relation to its length.

Using the "better cut" description has the benefit of actually being true, at least in MY restaurant.

Waiter Extraordinaire said...

Teleburst...it is always easier to upsell an item someone has bought already.

purplegirl said...

Tried that last night, specifically with steaks. Got a blank look and then, "For the same price?"

Riiiiiight.

Waiter Extraordinaire said...

Purplegirl...people are just being stupid if they think it is the same price. Makes me wonder who you are serving there. Upgrade usually always denotes a higher price. These people should be familiar with , would you like fries with that? Their second home!