Lookin' Good at 58

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

This is Really Dumb

I am dumping plates in the dish pit when a fellow waiter ask me if I am busy. At that time I was and said yes. Then wondering why he was asking anyway , he said oh I just wanted you to walk by table 18 and check if they have a credit card on their bill and are ready to pay.

Now why in the world would anyone ask someone to do that? It has happened more than once that someone has asked me that and this is the only place in all the jobs I have that this has occurred.

Now the table was out of my way to begin with but let's say I walked by table 18 and there was a credit card on the table. Now instead of him walking by and picking it up now I have to find this guy and tell him the guest is ready to pay. Then the opposite is true if they are not ready to pay. I still have to find the guy and tell him.

I just said to him exactly that. Walk by the table again and check if they are ready to pay. In other words , don't bother me. If you are not strong enough to check one more time to see if they are ready to pay then I don't know. Maybe you should be doing something else. Maybe answering phone calls somewhere...

Is that dumb or what??

14 comments:

♥ Caz said...

That is a strange request. Especially since you were no where near it.

If you were heading towards that way it wouldn't be so bad.

Never have I been as to 'walk by' a table to check if they are ready to pay.

I agree with you if you don't have the courage to walk by again to check, then too bad.

Banquet Manager said...

You're right. Tell him to check his own tables. What's next, should you pour them another round of coffee?

Waiter Extraordinaire said...

Caz... strange indeed. It is like the waiter feels he is being intrusive by checking if they are ready to pay.

Waiter Extraordinaire said...

Banquet Manager...you just gave me an idea for another post. Helping pour coffee..Grrrrrrr. If it wasn't for the hours and convenience....

Waitersfriend said...

Not your problem at all. Just lazy.

Waiter Extraordinaire said...

Waitersfriend...there are a few where I work. Lazy is the right word.

Anonymous said...

The only time I have ever asked anyone to do that is if they are walking to their table anyways and my table is on the way...so there really is no extra work involved. I would never even think of asking someone to go out of their way to do that though-it's a bit ridiculous.

Waiter Extraordinaire said...

Anonymous...ridiculous is right.

Manuel said...

dumb! and lazy too

purplegirl said...

I've had people ask me to do that when they were eating or sitting down and I was already on my feet, but never when we were both ambulatory! Maybe he felt like he was pestering the customers?

Waiter Extraordinaire said...

Purplegirl....I know what you mean like if someone is having a bite but in this case I am not sure what the reason was. It didn't sound like he had been by the table more than once. Maybe another time if like the waiter was cut and just wanted to get out and felt like they were hovering too much waiting for the last table to pay and wanted someone else to have a look.

missaustin said...

The other day I asked the bartender if there was payment inside because the couple was in the booth that is attached the the back wall of the bar and had the book standing up facing the bar. I had tried but couldn't easily see and I realized how suspicious I looked craning my neck in between the bottles to try. More natural for the actual bartender to be behind the bar looking out at the dining room. Also, he's taller.

Payment can be tricky. Sometimes they leave it in the exact same position you placed it facing away so you can't see if there is payment inside. Or they look at it and place it on the table as if they are ready but really they aren't. I really hate picking it up off the table with an "I'll be right back with this" when they are like "oh, we're not ready!" Sorry, you had it sitting on the edge of the table! It makes it seem like I'm trying to force them out!

Waiter Extraordinaire said...

Missaustin...welcome and thank you for the comment.In this case it is completely understandable and as far as picking up money that I thought they had for the bill and being stopped cause they are not ready yet that has happened before to me. Hey I didn't know. Saw the money and thought that it was done.

Waiter Extraordinaire said...

Manuel...I never heard of such a thing till I worked where I am.