Lookin' Good at 58

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

If You Could Wait or Bartend Anywhere Where Would It Be?

My wife and I were talking today about things and we both agreed that if we could we would ply our trade somewhere like the Mediterranean. Probably from our travels on the cruise ship we noticed that the pace of life we would enjoy would be that of let's say Italy or Southern France. Warm weather , vineyards , casual laid back life , not worried about chasing the dollar like we get sometimes here.

Tips are not that important as you would get paid a decent salary. Maybe open up your own restaurant where friends would congregate and you would pull up a chair and chat with them a bit. You know what I mean. Or maybe working in the Southern Rhone Valley on a vineyard where the only thing you would think about is a glass of wine and meal afterwards.

That would be pretty cool. Not saying we are packing up and leaving. We are happy where we are but it would be neat to try out.

What about you? Would you want to try and do what you are doing now in a different location?

8 comments:

Waitersfriend said...

Greek Islands would be nice...

Whitsunday Islands in Oz are definitely nice...

Basically anywhere near a nice beach with lots of rich people holidaying!

Confessions of a Waitress said...

I already have.. Atleast a good portion of places that I've wanted to try I've tried. At least in the states... These days I'm leaning towards trying New Orleans. Never been there but it seems like such an incredible place. I've had the idea for awhile but, with Katrina I was talked out of it. I would also like to try a summer in Alaska. Or even a little Irish village, working in a pub pouring guiness with all those fabulous accents... The Virgin Islands also holds some appeal for me. I think in general i'm wanting to be near an ocean again. But, if it was a dream and I could go anywhere it would be Tuscany. Of course I don't speak Italian..... but.... Tuscany. Definately

Waiter Extraordinaire said...

Waitersfriend...kind of appropo I should have even posted this since last night we got a dump of snow. Rich people holidaying leaving some worthy gratuities. I often found when you worked where it was warm out it never felt like work.Nice picks.

Waiter Extraordinaire said...

Confessions of a Waitress...like the movie Under the Tuscan Sun. That was a picturesque movie. I missed out on the Cayman Islands one time. That would have been a nice beach.Good picks!

Waitersfriend said...

I have just moved to Sweden with my wife (she is Swedish). So I think I'm having withdrawals from the beach life of Oz! It's mighty hard to get used to walking through ice at 2 oclock in the afternoon in December when it's blisteringly hot back home!

SkippyMom said...

Since I am out of the biz I can't answer, but if we could move Pooldad's business anywhere? Definitely Hatteras Island where we vacationed this summer [also a cool place to bartend come to think of it - in season]

Hey, I ship to Canada Waiter - so come over and join the give a way, 'kay? :)

Waiter Extraordinaire said...

Waitersfriend...Sweden is nice though. Been there a few times and stayed a week with a friend there back in the 90's.My wife is from Iceland. We married Scandinavian buddy. The best!

Waiter Extraordinaire said...

SkippyMom...Hatteras Island I think is in North Carolina isn't it? That is nice country there and the ocean wow! Love to go there someday too.