Lookin' Good at 58

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

I Don't Want to Get Chummy With a Regular

If you sit in my section you will be treated like everyone else and I will only be as cordial as I have to be. Don't expect me to make idle chat past the customary 15-20 seconds because I have other guests to attend to and food to run or anything else that needs doing rather than I just stand here and listen to you.

You only interest me when I am at work enough so I can give you what you ordered and ensure your entire meal is as enjoyable as possible. Enjoy the person or people's company you brought with you. They are worth talking to and enjoying your experience with. Not me!

I am only here to facilitate your dining experience by being prompt , courteous , and efficient. That is after all what I should get tipped on and not whether I gave lousy service to the rest of my section because I spent time listening to you.

My goal and do not take offense friend but I want you to leave quickly after you have finished eating. I have side jobs I have to do. I don't want to be rude but when you are done don't stick around.

Besides I know of one thing, the friendlier I am with you the less you think you have to tip what I am due! That is why I am what I am. Never get too chummy with a guest. You will get screwed in the end.

Now here is my question to you. Do you have friendly regulars that come in and because they know you so well they don't feel as obligated to leave you as much as you would otherwise get from a total stranger?

The only way I can tolerate being a waiter after all this time is I don't want to know people I serve , I just want to serve them.

12 comments:

A Nova Server said...

Good question. I believe most of my regulars tip well. (At least 20%). Except for one family. They're European - they are kind, so polite, never demanding, but apparently they've learned the language but not the customs. They have never, ever tipped more than 12%. I'm still struggling over this one - because they're so nice and easy to serve, I don't care about the tip until I see it. Then I get frustrated.

Waiter Extraordinaire said...

A Nova Server...now most regulars I would agree tip well but it is not because you are chummy with them but that you give them good service. But what I am talking about is the regular who comes in and just wants you to listen to them which probably applies more to bartenders than waiters. I hated working in a slow bar for that reason. The Europeans at 12% probably is a good tip for them. Don't expect more you are doing awesome getting that much from them. Thank you for the comment and welcome. By the way I changed the title of this post so the first sentence is a bit puzzling. Sorry.

cd0103 said...

I tip those who would consider me a regular 30-40% I top everyone else about 30%. I am a sucker for "know my name and what I drink and eat" service.

BB said...

That's why I hate working during the day at the bar. There's not much to do to keep busy so it looks rude when you don't talk to customers.. but my take is they are perfectly fine talking to the people they came in with.

Waiter Extraordinaire said...

cd0103....you are a good tipper for sure and I am sure you do not take too much of a waiter's time brefriending them when they are busy. I mean the guest who constantly feels the need to have the waiter by their table to listen to their chat. Where do you eat again??lol

A Nova Server said...

Ha ha ha, great point, your post was more about getting chummy than tipping! And I had to write again because my most chummy regulars came in last night, after I read your post! I was training a new girl, introduced her to the table, and oh my gosh, they had to tell their life stories and ask her about hers! I wanted to DIE! I had three other tables! I just kept backing up slowing so at some point I'd be at the other end of the restaurant! Yeah, the chummy people can really be difficult to deal with...

Waiter Extraordinaire said...

A Nova Server...yea that is what I mean. Ha

Waiter Extraordinaire said...

BB...especially the lone person there where you feel obligated to say how is it going or something like that. Gotta make sure you got juices and fruit to cut and wipe down those bottles..etc..Ha Ha

megaphon said...

I have a regular whom I don't like. He is fake and demanding. Still, he likes the idea of being a regular, trying to hug all the waitresses when coming in and when leaving. I do not want to hug him, I always try to hide behind a tray or the bar, but he just steps behind the counter and does it anyway.

Last week he sat at the bar, then chatting up a girl from another table, invited her over and bought her drinks. She was really young and obviously flattered. Later, he asked for pen and paper. "Certainly", I said, turning to get these, thinking 'Oh my gosh, they're going to exchange numbers...!'. I guess it showed by that blank face I made (the only expression I could muster). "She just does not like me, I can't figure out why!", I heard him say.

Here's news for you: I DO NOT HAVE TO LIKE YOU. I'm friendly to you, although I despise you, that should be enough. Be content, my fellow waitresses hug you and talk to you endlessly, because they get fooled by you. Not me. Get out and get some real friends!

Sooo... the effect is that I get average tip from him, while fellow-pro-hugging-waitresses get more. But I don't care. I'm not an emotional prostitute. We all need to be 'professionals', but there's no need to 'fake it'...!

Waiter Extraordinaire said...

Megaphon...absolutely be who you are and not change for a little more tip.I would act the same way as you. Great stuff!

Anonymous said...

Last year, i did have a regular that came in often, and talked my ear off..to no end. By the time the restaurant closed it's doors for good, i knew the ins and outs..his work, drama, job history, he even brought me pictures of his new living set when he got it, and always called ahead to make sure i was there before he came. But..he was THE nicest customer, i loved having him come in, especially on a slow day. And his bill never once was more than 15 dollars. He never once tipped me less than 5, even if the tab was 7

Waiter Extraordinaire said...

Anonymous...sounds like a real nice regular that came in. They are hard to find you know the ones you actually enjoy for who they are and money doesn't matter.