Lookin' Good at 58

Friday, November 13, 2009

Get Outta Here!

Another slow night. I think this H1N1 is scaring everyone. Too much media hype. Anyway that sort of leads me into this next post.

This evening one of the waiters had a table walk out with the bill fold , the two credit card slips , and the bill. In other words nothing that was presented to the guest remained after they left. They took everything. Apparently the bill came to about $120. So maybe the tip was about anywhere depending on how cheap they were from $10-$20 I figure.

Now in a case like that where we work you lose the tip and you just have to close the credit card at the amount of the bill. You cannot just add a tip.

So this waiter is asking everyone if they have seen a bill fold anywhere. Anyway he cannot find it so I guess the guest walked off with it. Another waiter comes up and says you heard what happened about so and so and I go yes that is too bad. He then says you don't have to but I was going to collect $2 off everyone to make up for the tip he is losing.

No I said I am not making lot's of money nowadays to donate $2 to another waiter's misfortune. I don't think this flew with anyone else either.

You know I made $72 tonight and I bet this waiter who started earlier made more than I did. I had 4 tables all night. It was a nice gesture by the other waiter for sure but..... get outta here!

Now am I just being mean or would you have felt pity and given the two dollars?

I was thinking too that if everyone gave $2 that was working he would have walked out of there with big money. That would have been quite the scam , wouldn't it?

10 comments:

SkippyMom said...

I don't know how many waiter's were working, but if you had less than 10 then he would've made less than 20 % by the donations for a $2 donation.

This has happened to me before and to me? It absolutely depends on the person someone is collecting for and in all the years I worked I can only think of two people I wouldn't have donated a dime.

But if you liked the guy - I don't think $2 is a lot to ask. Especially if he is a good co worker. That's just my opinion tho'.

Also, what if it happened to you later on? Would anyone be willing to donate knowing you didn't this evening? Just a thought - :)

How are you feeling btw?

Waiter Extraordinaire said...

SkippyMom...you are very kind. The guy is a nice guy don't get me wrong so I don't think he would have taken the money anyway. Hey stuff happens. If the people stiffed him it is the same thing. If the people don't leave anything you cannot expect others to prop you up. If it happened to me I wouldn't want anyone's charity to make up for it. It is only one table. I had 4 tables total last night so I was not in a charitable mood so to speak. Hey but that's me. Sorry. I am feeling better than I was. Thanks. Hope you all are doing fine.

purplegirl said...

If it were a very large table that had monopolized his entire section for the whole of the night, so he was literally going to walk out with nothing, that maybe I could see collecting for him. Otherwise, it's just one of those stiffings you've gotta live with.

Waiter Extraordinaire said...

Purplegirl...that is very true but usually if someone is in that situation the manager will buy an appy and drink for that person. It is just one of those things that happen.

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

At least they had run the credit card so the party can't get away without paying. Back in the day (hehe) we has to pay $25 for any missing check. Things weren't computerized then and more people payed in cash than with cards, but I did one time have to shell out the $25 at the beginning of my Monday shift, after a check went missing on the previous Saturday. I remember having to go into the bathroom and compose myself so I wouldn't have to go on the floor teary eyed BUT, it was devastating to start a shift negative $25 and worse, the Chinese as nice as they can be, have no decorum when it comes to such things and it was when I signed my checkbook out that he announced this problem. I felt like a criminal!
Whew. I consider Servers to be the salt of the earth. No ONE KNOWS!

Waiter Extraordinaire said...

Mary Sheehan Winn...oh yes back in the day there was nothing you could do if they ran out without paying. No paper trail. You really had to keep a close watch on your tables. That must have hurt $25 , ouch! Welcome and thank you for your comment.

waiternotes said...

I've never heard of such a thing. I think it's completely bleeding-heart ridiculous to take up a collection for him.

1) He could have prevented it by picking up the check before the guest left.

2) This is the luck of the draw. In the reverse situation, are any waiters distributing extra money when they get that out-of-the-clear-blue-sky $100 tip?

3) If this is something that's palatable to your staff, you might as well start officially tip pooling.

I would never contribute to such a fund. Sorry, I've had my bad luck here and there too and no one bailed me out. And I didn't expect it or rue it.

Liz said...

That is too bad, but I have never heard of other waiters kicking in when someone get stiffed. Shit happens.

Shrug it off, bring the good attitude, and piss in their beer if they ever darken your doorstep again.

Waiter Extraordinaire said...

Waiternotes...agree with you on all counts.I mean I just looked at the guy and my first word was What??

Waiter Extraordinaire said...

Liz....absolutely and perhaps the waiter too should have been keeping a closer watch.