Lookin' Good at 58

Sunday, September 20, 2009

A Very Nice Ending to Five in a Row

Went in to open at 1:45 today , something I haven't done since the spring , and got a few tables right off the bat at 3:00.

At the end of it all I walked out with $127 after tipping out $32 to the house. I got cut around 7:15 but had to hang around for a deuce consisting of two ladies that when it came to their dessert said that they were going to talk for a while and that they were in absolutely no hurry. Being in the business themselves one asked me if I was cut and I replied back yes I was indeed cut a while ago.

Now understanding the situation they asked me if they could close the bill and just have someone look after them so that I could leave. I graciously accepted their suggestion and got their bill and collected the payment for it then introduced Alex the closer to them so I could skidaddle home. Out at 8:30 my totals for the day were 27 covers , $978 in sales and $159 in tips. Tipped out the $32 I mentioned earlier and walked out with the rest and was home by 9:15.

All in all that was a nice finish. So to recap the last 5 days it was pretty good all things considering. What with some real cheap people and some slower nights.

Off Monday and Tuesday which I really like.

I will probably never do this play by play again of 5 days in a row but if you have been following the last 5 days tell me what your thoughts have been reading all this stuff. Fellow waiters you can comment good or bad. Compare notes with your job if you like.

Love to hear from you!

12 comments:

Caleb said...

It's been an intense 5 days for ya but it's been enjoyable reading all your adventures!

Waiter Extraordinaire said...

Caleb...That is about it really. Maybe toward Christmas when it gets a bit busier I will do another week. This week wasn't bad at all really.It is a slow time at work.

Michael Blake said...

What are you doing opening? I think the best money is in the earlier shifts - which is why most likely either you or me is usually closing (lol). Best thing about opening is you can choose to stay later usually and make significantly more. Certainly better than $50 on a Thursday close. =P Also glad it was a busy weekend (even though I had a killer headache on Saturday - all the hangover with none of the drinking - lame)

Michael Blake said...

(P.S.) Enjoy your Monday / Tuesday "Weekend"

Waiter Extraordinaire said...

Michael..Hi there! You know it was so different opening. Hadn't done it since Spring and never on a Sunday. The late people got 3-4 tables that was it. I would stay later but to stand on your feet for 4 more hours for 2-3 tables isn't worth it. I made good enough money and like you say when you open you always do. Next week I am think I close most of the time.GRRR!

Waiter Extraordinaire said...

Michael..you bet and have yourself a good week Mr.Professor!

blair said...

I have enjoyed reading your last five days! I have actually been out for 5 days to a combination of blood blisters on the bottom of my feet, and an insanely big blister on the back of my foot. Gotta love hiking!

Waiter Extraordinaire said...

Blair...blisters are bad! Where were you in the Amazon? lol Hey maybe I should do the work thing on a nightly basis??

A Watkins Man! said...

I just wanted to let you know that I enjoy your blog very much and maybe you and/or your other commentators can answer a question for me.

Probably like many other restaurant patrons I seldom know for sure what kind of tip is appropriate. While I very seldom leave less than the customary 15% rounded up (and quite often more than this) what is actually expected by someone such as yourself who performs at the very least an adequate (sorry, that sounds bad somehow) or exceptional service for us? I've had great waiters and others that (perhaps through inexperience?) just plain ignored tables and/or gossiped with their buddies instead of remembering what their jobs were. I once gave a $30 tip for a $75 meal because of what I considered to be exceptional service and our server seemed genuinely interested in keeping not only us but all their other customers happy. (Was that OK?) You could tell this person really enjoyed their work, at least on that shift! :-) On the other hand I've given next to nothing in the way of a tip to one of the above mentioned gossipers who was still obviously in a very early educational stage. (Should I have encouraged her anyway? I think not). By the way I try not to be a bad patron but I suppose I've had my bad days from time to time. :-(

Anyway, keep up the great blogging and I hope to meet you someday. Please let me know if you and your family ever get up to Manitoulin Island so I can show you around and perhaps treat you to an outing at The Garden's Gate Restaurant which is arguably the best establishment here on the island.

Waiter Extraordinaire said...

A Watkins Man..Hi and welcome. Thanks for your comment. Just tip according to how good the service is. It appears like you are a great tipper but don't do what I call a mercy tip cause you just feel sorry for that person. If they are not taking care of you then tip accordingly I say. I would go so far as to mention it as to why your tip is low. Maybe next time they will pay more attention. I would love to come to Manitoulin and visit you and your restaurant.Next summer probably is the earliest I can get up there.

A Watkins Man! said...

Oops... didn't mean to give you the impression that I have anything to do with the Garden's Gate Restaurant other than enjoying their great food, atmosphere and service. It's owned and operated by a couple who grow all their own herbs and use as many local products as possible. We always enjoy our visits there.

Waiter Extraordinaire said...

Watkins Man..no worries when I checked out your blog which is quite informative about Manitoulin I didn't see any mention of the restaurant but still plan on going there and will let you know when i do for sure. Thanks!