Lookin' Good at 58

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

I Got Rid of a Couple Who Wanted to Camp Last Night

I am the closer last night and just as I think that is about it on a slow Labour Day evening I get this young couple. Well maybe more like early 20's and out for a bite to eat. Friends like.

They both order water. Tap. Then the guy orders tempura shrimp for an appetizer and a Ceasar Salad for the main course while the girl just orders chicken for the main.

I put in the appetizer and fire the mains off immediately. I don't care at this stage if the mains come out before the guy has finished his appetizer.

The appetizer is served and all this guy is doing is looking at it. Is he going to eat this or what? Then the mains come out and I serve it and they are eating real slow. Finally they finish and there is still the tempura left. I ask if he wants it packed. He says no I am still going to eat it. By now the restaurant is closed.

I smile and walk away then two minutes later I bring the dessert menu. She looks at it and he says give him a couple of minutes while he finishes off the tempura. Then they start making themselves at home by putting their feet up on the bench seat.

I think that is enough. I go over and say if you want a dessert you better order now cause the kitchen which is open a half hour longer for the bar is about to close. He says no just bring the bill. I bring the bill collect the money and they scram afterwards leaving some of the tempura behind.

Sometimes you have to nudge people out the door.

What are some of the things you do to get people out the door quicker when closing?

10 comments:

AK said...

I always go over with a water pitcher and say, loudly, "Can I refill that water for you?"... they almost always say, "Oh my look at the time we should go!"

"Are you sure I can't bring you a bit more iced tea?" Etc.

Waiter Extraordinaire said...

A.K. that is a very effective way of doing it.

Sous Gal said...

My favourite servers would put the chairs up on the tables near by, turn off the music, turn the lights up, ask me to leave via the dining room, in full whites :)

Why oh WHY don't people know they are keeping people from their own non work lives?

I was bad, once. I really REALLY wanted dinner out at a certain french restaurant and arrived late. Not TOO late but enough ... and I paid dearly for that meal, cash wise. I basically bribed them to feed me. I didn't mind. I respected that they were close to closing and I was keeping staff from leaving when they'd expected to. But it was my last night in that city.

I won't do that again, though.

Waiter Extraordinaire said...

Sous Gal...a waiter's dream is to have considerate diners like you.

eternalcarryoutgirl said...

I start sweeping and/or cleaning the doors. Usually they get the idea.

purplegirl said...

I always approach them five minutes before close and say with a smile "Do you think you'd like dessert tonight? I need to let the cooks know or they'll be out of here in five minutes." If they decline, and continue to stick around, I'll lower the lights in surrounding areas bit by bit, as well as slowly turning down the music. I'll turn of the televisions; I'll announce to the bartender loudly that I just locked the doors. I've only had one table stay after I turned the music completely off.

Manuel said...

I encouraged a whole table of 25 out tonight.....wonderful

Waiter Extraordinaire said...

Purplegirl...that works for sure. Just announcing out loud the doors are locked will scare em out.

Waiter Extraordinaire said...

Eternalcarryoutgirl...welcome and that works too especially if you sweep the dirt toward them.lol.I will add you on to the blog roll tomorrow.

Waiter Extraordinaire said...

Manuel...that must have been cool. Did you start naming off must see places in Belfast at 10PM?