Thursday, September 17, 2009
Answers to Quiz
1. To chaptalize a wine the winemaker adds sugar before or during the fermentation process to raise the alcohol percentage of the wine. We say the wine has been chaptalized when this is done. This is allowed under French law.
2. The pH of wines usually ranges around 3.5 on the scale of 1 to 10.
3. A jeroboam is 6 standard Bordeaux bottles or 4.5 litres.
4. Pili-Pili that hot pepper is found on the continent of Africa.
5. To soak in French is the verb tremper.
There you have it!
Radio talk show host of "The Hospitality Industry News Network" and author of "You Only Live Once" about his early years traveling around and working on ships and foreign countries Steven blogs about his thoughts on the restaurant industry as he sees it today.
Check out his web site at www.stevennicolle.com for more information.