Tuesday, August 4, 2009
The Weekly Quiz
1. The literal meaning of the word smorgasbord is a table of buttered bread but we know it as a vast buffet don't we? What country does the word smorgasbord come from?
2. This name is given to a method of cooking fish. Depending on the type of fish it can be whole or filleted then dipped in batter or egg and breadcrumbed. Then it is fried , drained , then served with a tomato sauce. A hint is it is a name of an airport in Paris. What is the name?
3. Okay here is a harder one. What country would you find a dish called Kholodetz? And what is it exactly?
4. There is a red wine grape known for it's tannin that is grown quite extensively in Uruguay. It's home is in the south of France. What is the name of the grape?
5. Used in the production of beer and the distillation of whiskey this is the term used for the coarse ground malted barley that is required to extract the sugars required for fermentation when mashed or mixed with hot water. What the name given to this coarse ground malted barley?
Some of these were hard but that is the point of a quiz. Isn't it?
Radio talk show host of "The Hospitality Industry News Network" and author of "You Only Live Once" about his early years traveling around and working on ships and foreign countries Steven blogs about his thoughts on the restaurant industry as he sees it today.
Check out his web site at www.stevennicolle.com for more information.