Lookin' Good at 58

Sunday, June 28, 2009

Do You Prefer To Open or Close?

Most of the time I am the pre-closer or closer where I work and a lot of the time other waiters ask me whether I ask to be this. Everyday they see me doing the closing.

Well first of all I do not ask to be a closer unless it is a Tuesday when that afternoon my son has piano lessons that finish at 5PM. Then I start at 6:15 or 6:30. This allows me to come home and grab a quick bite and change then head off to work.

But lately I have noticed that the most money to be made comes after the first cuts have occurred sending the early starters home for the night. The last few nights especially I have had some really late decent tables.

I have opened as well and although it is nice to be home by 9 in the evening the income in most cases has been a trade-off.

So actually what I am getting at is I prefer being the closer or near the bottom of the list nearly all the time.

What about you? Is your place where you work have a strong opening where you make most of your money or does it build up so that at the end is when you make the most?

8 comments:

¸.•*´)ღ¸.•*´Chris said...

I prefer to close and do close every night except on my days off which are Wednesdays and Sundays. I am not a morning person first and foremost and the golf course opens at 7am. Things don't really start picking up until around noon and that's when I like to be working and be busy:)

Waiter Extraordinaire said...

Chris...Yea I like it when it is busy for sure. Can't stand hanging around.

G.H. said...

I prefer to open. Mostly because I like to be there by myself. I enjoy being the only one on the floor.
Plus with closing I get home so late, which I really dislike.

Waiter Extraordinaire said...

G.H....that is a plus for opening if you get an early rush.Sometimes I admit it can be ankward coming in the middle of a rush.

Caleb said...

I liked closing or late shifts when I was a server. I've also worked in the kitchen at a mom and pop burger place and I definitely prefer opening shifts there. I like being there by myself getting everything ready as opposed to cleaning fryers at night.

Waiter Extraordinaire said...

Caleb...I think you are right about when you were a cook you enjoyed more to open rather than close just cause of the late walk in or clean up afterwards then as a waiter you liked to close.Makes sense.

Restaurant Masochist said...

We're open 24 hours a day, so opening and closing doesn't apply. But most of the servers here like to work first shift, as the tips are really good. Second shift is a crap shoot; many of the regulars come in, and they're all mostly coffee drinkers and friends of the owner (and DON'T TIP). Weekends on second can be lucrative, though. Third shift... ho boy. The creatures of the night come out, and depending on how crocked they are, they can either tip too much or not at all...

The Restaurant Masochist- restaurantmasochist.blogspot.com

Waiter Extraordinaire said...

Restaurant Masochist...when you open it can be really good but you are right when you close sometimes the rif raf comes in and your worst tables of the night. 24 hours open, wow! Welcome I will put you on the blog roll.