Lookin' Good at 58

Friday, January 23, 2009

Work Now Play Later

Up here in Canada when it is January and the temperature is hovering in the -10 Celsius range with the wind chill taking it colder I have always taken great pleasure in working a lot more than I usually do.

You'd think that perhaps after Christmas a waiter would need a break but no not I as January always for me sets the tone for the rest of the year. If I get out of the gate with a good start the money I make now goes toward the summer when I like to take some time off.

I love the summer. When I was younger I was really into summer sports with my favourite being football. I played baseball , soccer , and did a lot of running too.

My two sons are into soccer right now and I want them to start to learn how to swim too. When they are on summer holidays I enjoy being around them as much as possible. Taking some Fridays and Saturdays off every once in a while to go visit others or to watch them play for their teams is a lot of fun.

Hey who knows , if my wife and I spend as much time as we can with them now maybe just maybe when they get older they will visit us once in a while. I cannot predict that but we are having a blast with our 7 and 4 year old sons right now and that is what counts.

Work now , play later. Bring on the summer I say ! That is my motto.

What's yours???

8 comments:

MikeTheWaiterDotCom said...

ahhh, but what is more important than the children? Absolutely nothing! You really seem to have it together, steven. I have trouble making my January money last me through January, much less until summer!
peace to you and the family, my brother,
mTw

Waiter Extraordinaire said...

Mike...I'm trying. I am uploading some stuff to Youtube right now. Should be fun to watch. I will post it tomorrow hopefully.

MikeTheWaiterDotCom said...

I have a little video project going on now as well. Helping a couple of friends with local restaurants to promote their joints.... videoing their chefs doing recipes, etc.... my problem is I am trying to learn editing with camtasia studio... and I don't know if I am going to be able to make it.... time will tell.

Don said...

My motto is similar to yours, but not necessarily as "time-bound." My LIFE motto is "Work hard, play harder."

A motto I use at work: "Manage things, lead people."

I agree with mTw. You really do seem to have it together!

Waiter Extraordinaire said...

Mike..you and me need some help. Here I am thinking today after getting these tv slots all on AVI format for Youtube today I would have no problem downloading them. NOT!!

Waiter Extraordinaire said...

Don..you are too kind.I do like your motto and lead people that is a magnificent ideal. The world needs talent like yours' that inspires others to do better.

Sous Gal said...

No motto here. Just a lot of "are you kidding me?!" :) I'm with mTw trying to make my January money last me the month!

Waiter Extraordinaire said...

Sous Gal...I'm making some money but the tips have been brutal this month.It's all about the volume.